Friday, July 24, 2009

Turn on the Pumps Act Killed

By Devin Nunes

Yesterday, House Democrats defeated my effort to force a vote on H.R. 3105 – the Turn on the Pumps Act. The Speaker used a procedural tactic to “table” my appeal for a vote – thus killing consideration of my bill.

It is noteworthy that, despite the claims of bi-partisan support for returning Delta pumping to normal operations, only three Democrats – Rep. Griffith (D-Alabama), Rep. Kratovil (D-MA), and Rep. Minnick (ID) supported my bill on the House Floor.
Not a single California Democrat voted in favor of the Turn on the Pumps Act (see how they voted). Meanwhile, communities across the Central Valley face severe water shortages – shortages that are also impacting Southern California.

A video of the floor proceedings can be found on my YouTube Channel by clicking here.